This open-source runtime environment is quickly gaining popularity. It has already been adopted to develop web-based applications by several big wigs across various industries (such as LinkedIn, NASA, and Uber).
In this article, we will help you understand how Node.js works. In addition, this will help you make an informed decision on whether is the right fit for you or your organization.
Understanding Node- What Is Node.js?
Developed by Ryan Dahl, Node.js, is a server-side technology that helps developers build high-speed network applications that are easily scalable. The technology utilizes a lightweight model and does not block I/O. As a result, it is a suitable fit for real-time applications that are built to process large volumes of data.
Why Should You Use It?
This technology comes with its unique advantages. Some notable ones are:
- Utilizes a model that does not obstruct I/O, thereby making it capable of serving multiple simultaneous requests. Ensures that client requests are handled promptly (even on high-load platforms) and that the technology can be easily scaled.
- Node.js helps a flexible and responsive runtime environment; web apps meet the increasing user demand for faster speed and easier access to information and services.
- Programmers don’t need to learn different technologies, as it provides a complete option for full-stack development.
- Both front-end and back-end developers can use Node.js. Promotes a more organized and synchronized working environment
- Projects can be handled by a single team, thereby saving time and additional cost.
- Node.js can be used for both back and front-end development to accelerate the app creation process.
- This technology does not utilize expensive licensing.
- Node.js hosts an active community where you can troubleshoot problems and get advice from other developers.
What Is It Used For?
It is most advisable to use Node.js when developing apps that run in real-time and process many client requests. It is best to use Node.js for web-based applications required to deliver a great user experience and prompt response time. However is not required for advanced security, such as live chats and instant messaging apps, online games, video conferencing, and collaborative platforms.
Node.js delivers better results on such projects in comparison to more rigid technologies like Ruby on Rails. It can efficiently handle multiple requests and provide swift responses. Therefore making it ideal for developing client-focused web applications.
Six Reasons Why You Should Develop Your Next Web App With Node.js
Owing to its single-threaded quality, Node.js is great for conventional web apps and back-end API services that run in real-time. Here are six reasons why you should consider developing your next web app with Node.js:
- It helps you build high-traffic apps that run in real-time in no time
- Node.js bridges the gap between front-end and back-end development.
- With the Node Package Manager, you can access many tools and modules to use to your advantage.
- Code executes more swiftly than in any other programming language.
- Excellent for developing microservices which can often be an integral part of enterprise application software.
With over one billion downloads, we hope you now understand why Node.js has taken the industry by storm and when you can apply it to your projects. Will you be using Node.js to develop your next web application?